Senior Research Fellow; former editor, Bibliography of British and Irish History
Until April 2015, I was one of the editors of the Bibliography of British and Irish History (BBIH). I was also involved with its predecessor, the Royal Historical Society Bibliography, from 1992 onwards, and therefore took part in the creation of the CD-ROM version, published by Oxford University Press in 1998, as well as in the subsequent transition to online publication. My interests included the development and maintenance of subject indexing schemes, the design of the database used for the creation and storage of the data underlying the online version, interoperability with other online resources, and the development of macros and simple programmes for the conversion of imported data and for verifying the integrity of the database.
Prior to starting work on the Bibliography, I was a Fellow of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge.
I am a Fellow of the Royal Historical Society.
Networks and collaborations
Research and publications
- 'Sir Thomas Wentworth and the parliamentary representation of Yorkshire, 1614-28', Northern History, xvi (1980), pp.130-68
- 'The origins of Sir Edward Dering’s attack on the ecclesiastical hierarchy, c.1625-40', The Historical Journal, xxx (1987), pp.21-52
- 'Wyatville’s remodelling and refurbishment of Sidney Sussex College, 1820-1837', Proceedings of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society, lxxxi (1993 for 1992), pp.115-55
- 'Sir Simonds D’Ewes and the levying of ship money, 1635-1640', The Historical Journal, xxxvii (1994), pp.253-87
- 'Sir Edward Dering, 1st baronet (1598-1644)', in Oxford dictionary of national biography : from the earliest times to the year 2000, ed. H. C. G. Matthew and Brian Harrison (Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2004), vol. 15, pp. 874-80. (Also available online to subscribers)
- 'William Chafy and the architectural transformation of Sidney Sussex College, 1813-37', in Sidney Sussex College: historical essays in commemoration of the Quatercentenary, ed. D.E.D. Beales and H.B. Nisbet (Woodbridge: Boydell, 1996), pp.145-75
- Contribution to the section on architectural history, 1700-1815, The Royal Historical Society Bibliography on CD-ROM: the history of Britain, Ireland, and the British overseas (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1998)
Conference and seminar papers
- 'The Thirty Years' War and the rule of Charles I': paper delivered to the conference on 'The Earl of Strafford and British politics, c.1621-1641', University of Sheffield, 1994
- 'Connecting the Royal Historical Society Bibliography to other online resources': paper delivered to the third conference on European Historical Bibliographies, held at the Institute of Netherlands History, The Hague, 2009
- Contribution to the session on 'Licence fee or open access: Delivery models of bibliographical databases' at the fourth conference on European Historical Bibliographies, held at the Bavarian State Library, Munich, 2011