IHR Winter Conference 2018- Home: New Histories of Living
08 Feb 2018, 09:30 to 09 Feb 2018, 17:00
Conference / Symposium
IHR Wolfson Conference Suite, NB01/NB02, Basement, IHR, Senate House, Malet Street, London WC1E 7HU
New histories of living will host pathbreaking research which explores the manifold ways that the home has been thought about, utilized and lived within throughout history. These perspectives open the shutters on domesticity, by showing how patterns of homemaking can reshape our conceptions of kinship, consumption and the everyday.The conference will take place over two days and is separated into four interrelated avenues of enquiry:
- Reconstructions: imagining domestic experience
- Dream Homes: Envisioning alternate futures for residential experience
- Rooms: Furnishing the idiosyncrasies of private life
- Home-work: Reframing gendered spaces
Confirmed plenary speakers:
- Jane Hamlett (Royal Holloway)
- Dan Cruickshank (Art historian and BBC presenter)
- Owen Hatherley (Architectural historian and journalist)
- Vanessa Harding (Birkbeck)
For more information on the conference, please visit the IHR Winter Conference blog.
- General Admission (2-day): £80.00
- Concession rate (students only) £60.00
A small number of bursaries are available for Masters Students, PhD researchers and ECRs to help with conference fees and travel expenses*.
In order to apply please submit the following details to Gemma Dormer in the IHR Events and Operations office by Monday 8 January 2018.
- Level of study/stage of career:
- Theme of research (250 words max):
- Reasons for applying (250 words max):
- Approximate cost of travel (if outside London):
All applicants will be informed of a decision by Monday 15 January 2018.
*To be eligible to apply for a bursary you must meet the following criteria:
- Conference fee bursary: you must not have access to home institution funding
- Travel bursary: you must not have access to home institution funding and be studying at a University outside of London/Surrey
ContactIHR Events Office
020 7862 8740