This section includes records of non-conformist and foreign protestant congregations and non-conformist secular organisations. No original records are held of Roman Catholic congregations or churches. A number of Roman Catholic registers are held by Westminster Archdiocesan archives. A list of these is available at the Section's enquiry desk or email email@example.com. No original records are held of synagogues. London Metropolitan Archives hold records of synagogues and of the Anglo-Jewish community.
Where the records consist of one or two volumes only, a phrase such as “Minute book” has been added to the description to indicate that these are the only records we hold. For all other collections, please consult the collection level descriptions in our online catalogue (which describe the whole collection and are called “Records of……” e.g. Records of Bartholomew Calvinist Chapel) as these give an overview of the types of records within each collection.
Covering dates only are given. Full catalogue entries will be found in our online catalogue www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/librarycatalogue (use the “Former catalogue”). To find the entries, do a Classification search for the Manuscript number given below in bold, adding leading zeroes if necessary to give the number five digits (e.g. Ms 00592, Ms 04001 or Ms 20228).
If the collection consists of a single document, it will be given in the following way in this guide: Ms 4001; if the collection consists of more than one document, the first manuscript reference number only will be given with a dash to indicate further numbers, e.g. Ms 20228-. In order to find the entries in our online catalogue, please just enter the first number in a classification search, without a dash, e.g. Ms 20228. This search will find the collection level description which shows the full range of manuscript numbers for each collection.
The catalogue is available in hard copy at the Manuscripts Section's enquiry desk.
Registers of baptisms, marriages and burials are mentioned specifically, where they survive. Further details of registers, including transcripts of registers not held by Guildhall Library, can be found in the Handlist of Non-Conformist, Roman Catholic, Jewish and Burial Ground Registers which is available at the Manuscripts Section's enquiry desk. Many non-parochial registers which were formerly in the custody of the Registrar-General are now held by the National Archives. A list of these registers is available at the Manuscripts Section's enquiry desk.
(i) Non Conformist and foreign protestant congregations
ARTILLERY LANE BAPTIST CHURCH see DEVONSHIRE SQUARE PARTICULAR BAPTIST CHURCH
BAPTIST CHURCH, BLACKFRIARS ROAD see BAPTIST CHURCH, WHITE’S ALLEY
BAPTIST CHURCH, COLES STREET Dover Road see BAPTIST CHURCH, WHITE’S ALLEY
BAPTIST CHURCH, HOGG LANE alias WORSHIP STREET, Shoreditch see BAPTIST CHURCH, WHITE’S ALLEY
BAPTIST CHURCH, PAUL'S ALLEY, Barbican see BAPTIST CHURCH, WHITE’S ALLEY
BAPTIST CHURCH, STAMFORD STREET, Blackfriars Road see BAPTIST CHURCH, WHITE’S ALLEY
BAPTIST CHURCH, TRINITY PLACE, Trinity Street, Blackman Street, Borough see BAPTIST CHURCH, WHITE’S ALLEY
BAPTIST CHURCH, WHITE'S ALLEY, met at White’s Alley, Moorfields, 1681-1745; Paul’s Alley, Barbican, 1745-79; Hogg Lane alias Worship Street, Shoreditch, 1779-1829; Trinity Place, 1829-32; Blackman Street, Borough, 1829-32; Coles Street, Dover Road, 1833-40 and Stamford Street, Blackfriars Road, 1840-1. Minute books. 1681-1841. L 18.2 Ms 592 [Further records are held at the Library of the Baptist Historical Society and at Dr Williams’ Library. Guildhall Library holds some modern transcripts for 1699-1768 (Ms 20953/1-6)]
BAPTIST CHURCH, WORSHIP STREET, Shoreditch see BAPTIST CHURCH, WHITE’S ALLEY
BARTHOLOMEW CALVINIST CHAPEL, Bartholomew Close, City of London. Minute book of the "Church of Christ" community which met at the chapel; with list of members and rules.1806-9. L 19.2 Ms 4001
DEVONSHIRE SQUARE PARTICULAR BAPTIST CHURCH, Devonshire Square, City of London. Founded circa 1653 at Devonshire Square, officially dissolved in 1727 when amalgamated with Turners’ Hall meeting, but continued to meet at Devonshire Square until 1870. Moved to Stoke Newington Road in 1871. United with Shacklewell Baptist Church, q.v., in 1884. Records include one volume of Turners’ Hall meeting 1675-1727 (this meeting was successively at Petty France, Westminster; Artillery Lane, Spitalfields; Walbrook and Turners’ Hall, Philpot Lane before amalgamation with Devonshire Square meeting in 1727). 1664-1957. L 18.2 Ms 20228-
DUTCH CHURCH, Austin Friars. The former monastic church of the Austin Friars has housed a Dutch protestant church since 1550 (by royal charter). Church was damaged by fire in 1862, virtually destroyed by an air raid in 1940 and since rebuilt. Substantial archive including: copy charter 1550; baptisms 1559-1874; marriages 1559-1752, 1812, 1857-71; burials 1559-61, 1671-1853; minutes 1560-1938; membership records 1550-1872; financial records 1564-1945; other records 1462-1945; deeds 1462-1938; manuscript library on historical, theological and related subjects 14th-19th centuries. In Dutch, Latin, French and English. L 19.92 Ms 7380-
DUTCH CHURCH, Colchester. Baptisms 1645-1728. In Dutch. L 19.92 Ms 7384
DUTCH CHURCH, Norwich. Baptisms and burials 1676-1912. In Dutch. L 19.92 Ms 7385
ENGLISH REFORMED CHURCH, Hamburg, Germany. Established in Hamburg in the 18th century, the church was destroyed in World War II.1818-1938. Including: baptisms 1818-1938, births 1861-72, marriages 1819-1931 and burials 1818-67. In German and English. L 18.5 Ms 25109-
HABERDASHERS' HALL INDEPENDENT CHAPEL, Staining Lane, City of London. Established at Haberdashers’ Hall in the reign of Charles II. Register of baptisms only, 1832-8. (Earlier register is held at the National Archives). Part of the Haberdashers' Company archives - see Section 18 (ii). L 18.1 Ms 15906
HAMBURG LUTHERAN CHURCH, of Holy Trinity the Less, Little Trinity Lane, City of London circa 1668-1875, of Dalston, Hackney 1875 onwards). 1668-1949. Include baptisms 1669-1849, marriages 1671-1849 (gaps), deaths and burials 1695-1847. In Latin, German, French and English. L 19.93 Ms 8355- [Further records are held by the National Archives, by St Bartholomew's Hospital and by London Metropolitan Archives (LMA holds registers 1850-1929).]
JEWIN STREET WESLEYAN CHAPEL, of Jewin Street, City of London. Established 18th century, rebuilt 1847 and building sold 1878. Annual chapel trust schedules. 1873-8. L 18.3 Ms 17948
LIME STREET INDEPENDENT MEETING HOUSE, of Lime Street, City of London, 1672-1755. Building sold in 1755, when congregation split, larger part to Miles Lane, smaller part to Artillery Lane. 1692-1764. L 18.1 Ms 557
LITTLE ST HELEN'S INDEPENDENT CHURCH, of Little St Helen’s off Bishopsgate Street, City of London. Established as a Presbyterian meeting house circa 1672. Known successively as Three Cranes Church, Thames Street, and Mr. Pike's Church (so called after Samuel Pike, pastor 1747-65). Congregation dissolved 1790, building used for various churches until 1799 when pulled down. Sermons and fragmentary account book. 1719-22, 1760-98. L 18.1 Ms 499 and Ms 9351
MILES LANE INDEPENDENT MEETING HOUSE see LIME STREET INDEPENDENT MEETING HOUSE
MR PIKE'S CHURCH see LITTLE ST HELEN'S INDEPENDENT CHURCH
NIGHTINGALE LANE CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, East Smithfield, London. Established 1662 in Nightingale Lane and continued there to at least late 18th century. 1715-62. L 18.1 Ms 1777
PETTY FRANCE BAPTIST CHURCH see DEVONSHIRE SQUARE PARTICULAR BAPTIST CHURCH
ST MARTIN ORGAR CHURCH, a French Protestant congregation at Brewers’ Hall, Addle Street, 1691, Buckingham House, College Hill, 1692-7 and St Martin Orgar, Martins Lane from 1699-1834. 1691-1775. L 19.91 Ms 994-
SCOTS CHURCH, LONDON WALL, City of London (at Founders’ Hall, City of London from before 1665-1764, at London Wall 1764-1855; Trinity Presbyterian Church, Canonbury 1856-1944). 1689-1935. Include: baptisms 1689-1802, 1837-82, 1901-28; marriages 1909-13, and deaths 1899-1916. L 19.3 Ms 4962-.Records from 1860 onwards have been catalogued as records of Trinity Presbyterian Church, Canonbury, q.v. [Baptisms for 1803-40 are held by the National Archives and baptisms 1822-36 and marriages 1917-35 are held by the United Reformed Church Library, 86 Tavistock Place, London WC1H 9RT.]
SHACKLEWELL BAPTIST CHURCH, Wellington Place, Stoke Newington. Formed in 1822 at Wellington Place and merged with Devonshire Square Particular Baptist Church, q.v., in 1884. The building subsequently became the West Hackney Synagogue. 1828-85. L 18.2 Ms 20245-
SOCIETY OF FRIENDS, DEVONSHIRE HOUSE MONTHLY MEETING, Bishopsgate. Established 1667 as a constituent meeting of London and Middlesex Quarterly Meeting. Comprised various London particular meetings including from 1850 Gracechurch Street Meeting, q.v. and from 1860 Peel Meeting, q.v. In 1943 united with the Tottenham Monthly Meeting as Devonshire House and Tottenham Monthly Meeting. Minutes and financial records. 1788-1943. L 19.1 Ms 9076- Further records held at the Society of Friends Library, Friends House.
SOCIETY OF FRIENDS, DEVONSHIRE HOUSE PREPARATIVE MEETING, Bishopsgate. Minutes. 1850-1927. L 19.1 Ms 9567-
SOCIETY OF FRIENDS, GRACECHURCH STREET MONTHLY MEETING. Established 1667 as the Bull and Mouth Monthly meeting, a constituent meeting of London and Middlesex Quarterly Meeting. Became Gracechurch Street Monthly Meeting in 1742. In 1850 the monthly meeting was dissolved and the particular meeting became part of the Devonshire House Monthly Meeting, q.v. Minutes and financial records. 1781-1850. L 19.1 Ms 9077- Further records held at the Society of Friends Library, Friends House.
SOCIETY OF FRIENDS, GRACECHURCH STREET PREPARATIVE MEETING. Minutes. 1843-9. L 19.1 Ms 9573
SOCIETY OF FRIENDS, PEEL PREPARATIVE MEETING, Peel Court, St John’ Street, Clerkenwell. Established by 1667 as part of the Peel Monthly Meeting. In 1860 the Monthly and Preparative Meetings transferred to Devonshire House Monthly Meeting [q.v]. The Preparative Meeting discontinued in 1926. 1860-1926. L 19.1 Ms 9574
THAMES STREET INDEPENDENT CHURCH see LITTLE ST HELEN'S INDEPENDENT CHURCH
THREE CRANES INDEPENDENT CHURCH see LITTLE ST HELEN'S INDEPENDENT CHURCH
TRINITY PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, Canonbury, Islington. The congregation of the Scots Church, London Wall, q.v., became part of the Presbyterian Church in 1843 and moved to a building in Canonbury in 1856. Merged with Highbury Presbyterian Church in 1935 and church dissolved in 1944. Records before 1860 have been catalogued as records of the Scots Church London Wall. 1860-1935. L 18.5 Ms 4982-
TURNERS’ HALL BAPTIST CHURCH see DEVONSHIRE SQUARE PARTICULAR BAPTIST CHURCH
WALBROOK BAPTIST CHURCH see DEVONSHIRE SQUARE PARTICULAR BAPTIST CHURCH
WHITECHAPEL QUAKER BURIAL GROUND see Section 26
(ii) Non-conformist secular organisations
DISSENTERS CHARITY SCHOOL see Section 18 (iii)
HUGUENOT FRIENDLY BENEFIT SOCIETY see Section 21
PROTESTANT DISSENTING DEPUTIES. Elected representatives of every congregation of the Presbyterian, Independent and Baptist denominations of Protestant Dissenters, within a ten mile radius of London. 1732-1909. L 18 Ms 3083-
Last updated 31st January 2008
General Guide, contents
Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section