The beginnings of the Baltic Exchange are traditionally dated from 1744 when the Virginia and Maryland Coffee House in Threadneedle Street was renamed the Virginia and Baltick Coffee House as a meeting place for merchants in the Virginia or Baltic trade. From 1823 it was known as the Baltic Coffee House. In 1823 the Subscription Room was established which contained newspapers and commercial information for those who paid a subscription. The number of subscribers (later called ‘members’) was originally restricted to 300 but this was increased in later years.
In 1866 the Baltic moved to South Sea House. In 1903 the Committee of the Baltic merged with the London Shipping Exchange and the Baltic Mercantile & Shipping Exchange Ltd (which had been incorporated in 1900 to manage the building project) and moved into new premises in St Mary Axe. The newly amalgamated body was known as the Baltic Mercantile & Shipping Exchange Ltd. In 1981/2 the name was changed to the Baltic Exchange. In the evening of 10 April 1992 an IRA bomb went off outside the Exchange, killing three people and causing extensive damage to the Exchange building. Today, the tower known as the ‘Gherkin’ occupies the site and the new Baltic Exchange building is adjacent to the 1903 site.
The records of the Baltic Exchange were deposited in Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section in 1994 (except board minutes from 1903 and printed annual lists of members from ca. 1860 which are retained by the Baltic). They comprise: corporate records (mainly minutes and agendas of committees), 1857-1987 (Ms 39476-91); financial records, 1857-1994 (Ms 39492-524); administrative records (including correspondence), 1858-1977 (Ms 39525-43);membership records, 1837-1985 (Ms 39544-70); operational records, 1877-1971 (Ms 39571-612); staff records, 1902-60 (Ms 39613-20); premises records, 1854-1971 (Ms 39621-40); miscellaneous papers, 1889-1987 (Ms 39641-5); records of the Airbrokers Association, 1947-76 (Ms 39646), the Institute of Shipbrokers, 1917-87 (Ms 39647-51), London Shipping Exchange, 1892-1903 (Ms 39652-62); and St Andrew Undershaft parish magazines, 1961-72 (Ms 39663). They are held in the off-site stores so 24 hours notice is required for access.
Holy Trinity Church, Corfu
The Manuscripts Section holds the records of many overseas Anglican chaplaincies and we have recently received additional records from the chaplaincy in Corfu. Holy Trinity Church was consecrated on 2 October 1870, although there had been an Anglican presence in Corfu prior to that date. The new material comprises a register of baptisms 1865-1977 (Ms 38969), a register of marriages 1866-1946 (Ms 38970) and a register of burials 1865-1912 (Ms 38971). These important records join a notebook of information about the chaplaincy, [1975?]-1983 (Ms 23728); chaplains' books, 1974-84 (Ms 23729); chaplains' diaries and log books, 1972-84 (Ms 23730); regulations, 1883 (Ms 23878); and a list of subscribers to the church endowment fund, ca. 1910 (Ms 23879), to provide a picture of the Anglican community in Corfu.
Cazenove & Co
The archives of Cazenove & Co were
presented to the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library by JPMorgan Cazenove
on 29 January 2007 and have recently been catalogued. The archives date from
1853 (with copy material dating from 1823) to 2003. The records are especially
strong for the company’s recent history, particularly the period around “Big
Bang” in the 1980s, and leading up to incorporation in 2001. As well as more
traditional records such as partnership deeds, minutes, accounts and financial
records, they include the papers of a number of partners, and a significant
amount of material gathered in the course of research for the company’s history.
The origins of Cazenove can be traced to the early Huguenot financiers who left France for Geneva in the late 17th century after the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes in 1685. In time, a number of the Huguenots left Geneva for the City of London, including members of the Cazenove family. The founder of the firm was Philip Cazenove (1798-1880). It all began in 1819 when Philip joined the business of his brother-in-law John Menet with whom he went into partnership in 1823. John Menet died in 1835 and Philip subsequently went into partnership with Joseph Laurence and Charles Pearce, before branching out on his own and then forming a new partnership in 1854 with his son and nephew. Involved in issues ranging from His Highness the Nizam's State Railway Company to the Metropolitan Sewage and Essex Reclamation Company, his business prospered. Following Philip’s death in 1880, the business continued to flourish and by the mid 1930s had become one of the City of London's pre-eminent stockbroking partnerships. For further details of the history of the firm to 1991, see David Kynaston, Cazenove & Co: A History (London, 1991)
The archives have been catalogued as Guildhall Library Ms 39301-475 and comprise 235 production units. They have been arranged as follows:
Corporate records, including partnership deeds and minutes, Ms 39301-19; records of internal administration, Ms 39320-3; financial records, Ms 39324-40; operational records, Ms 39341-423, including overseas operations, Ms 39363-8, and partners’ and staff papers Ms 39369-423; staff records, Ms 39424-6; notes compiled in connection with the history of the company, Ms 39427-72; papers concerning archives, artefacts, paintings and memorabilia, Ms 39473-4; and miscellaneous printed items, Ms 39475.
The archives at Guildhall Library are subject to a 30 year closure rule and are on 24 hours call. Access to some of the correspondence is subject to special conditions. For further details about access, please enquire at the Manuscripts enquiry desk.
Last updated April 2009
Newly catalogued collections 2002-2003
Newly catalogued collections 2004-2005
Newly catalogued collections 2006-2007
Newly catalogued collections 2008
Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section