The Tobacco Pipe Makers of Westminster obtained their first charter in 1619, and were reincorporated in 1634 for London, Westminster, England and Wales. Company thought to have dissolved in 1642; second Tobacco Pipe Makers Company in existence 1663-ca.1850. Present Company received charter in 1960.
See Cliff Webb's London Livery Company Apprenticeship Registers Vol.12 ... Tobaccopipemakers' Company 1800 (1998). Compiled from Ms 3601 (draft court minutes in miscellaneous papers, 8 entries only). Indexed by names of apprentice and master, subjects and places. Available in Guildhall Library Printed Books Section and Manuscripts Section reading room.
See also P. Woollard, unpublished "List of [certain] Clay Tobacco Pipe Makers" c.1799-c.1846 (1999). Compiled from Mss 2821, 3601 and 3817 (part of the Turners' Company archive). Available in Guildhall Library Printed Books Section and Manuscripts Section reading room.
Last updated July 2004
Livery Company Membership Guide, list of companies
Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section