Foundations of English Convents in the Seventeenth Century

  • Aire, Poor Clares, 1629, offshoot of Gravelines, returned 1795
  • Antwerp, Carmelites, 1618/9, returned 1794
  • Bruges, Augustinians, 1629, from Louvain; returned 1794-1802, still in Bruges
  • Brussels, Benedictines, 1599, returned 1794
  • Brussels, Franciscans, 1619, to Nieuport 1637, to Bruges, 1662, returned 1794
  • Brussels, Dominicans, 1660, returned 1794
  • Cambrai, Benedictines, 1623, returned 1795
  • Dunkirk, Poor Clares, 1625 (temporary), 1652 (permanent) from Gravelines, returned 1795
  • Dunkirk, Benedictines, 1662, from Ghent, returned 1795
  • Ghent, Benedictines, 1624, from Brussels, returned 1794
  • Gravelines, Poor Clares, c.1606 returned 1795
  • Hammersmith, Mary Ward Sisters, 1669-1795
  • Hoogstraete, Carmelites, 1678, from Antwerp, returned 1795: some left in 1790 to found a convent in Maryland, America
  • Liège, Mary Ward Sisters, 1616 suppressed 1630
  • Liège, Sepulchrines, 1642, returned 1794
  • Lierre, Carmelites, 1648, from Antwerp, returned 1794
  • Lisbon 1594, Bridgettines, via Malines, 1573, to Rouen 1580, most returned 1809
  • Louvain, Augustinians, 1609, returned 1794
  • Paris, Augustinians, 1634, some remained in Paris until 1911
  • Paris, “Blue Nuns”, Franciscans/Conceptionists, 1659 from Nieuport most returned by 1799, died out 1838
  • Paris, Benedictines, 1653, from Cambrai, returned 1795
  • Paris, Mary Ward Sisters, 1650-1705
  • Pontoise, Benedictines, c1658 started in Boulogne 1652, offshoot Ghent, closed 1786
  • Rouen, Poor Clares, 1644 from Gravelines, returned 1795
  • St Omer, Mary Ward Sisters, 1609, suppressed 1630
  • York, Bar Convent, Mary Ward Sisters, 1686: still open
  • Ypres, Benedictines, 1665, from Ghent, (became Irish convent and remained in Ypres until 1914)

In addition the following houses were founded by Mary Ward and the Mary Ward Sisters: in England; Heworth, nr York 1645 which moved to Paris 1650: Dolebank 1677 closed by magistrates 1678. The following houses with schools were founded by Mary Ward; Cologne, 1620, suppressed 1630: Trier, 1621, suppressed 1630: Rome, 1622, suppressed 1625: Naples, 1623, suppressed 1628: Perugia, 1624, suppressed 1625: Munich, 1627, suppressed 1631 although it remained open and the school reopened in 1635: Vienna, 1627, suppressed 1631: Pressburg, 1628, suppressed 1631. Most of the early members of these houses were English, although by 1627 the membership had become international. The Mary Ward Sisters opened houses with schools at Augsburg 1662: Burghausen 1683 and Mindelheim 1701 which started with English and German members, however by the early eighteenth century English members were entering through Hammersmith and York rather than on the continent.