Like the Institute itself, the publication of the Bulletin, was inevitably affected by the Second World War. For the only time in its life, the publishing schedule slipped (by up to two years), but even more of a concern was the destruction of almost the entire back stock in the Blitz.
|The journal was published by Longmans until 1952, when it passed to the now defunct University of London Athlone Press. In 1971 the IHR took over responsibility for publication and distribution. During this time, the Bulletin had been slowly evolving into a more typical scholarly journal, but the real change came in 1986 when it moved to Blackwell Publishing (now Wiley-Blackwell) under the title Historical Research. It has since become one of the UK’s leading general history journals, available in thousands of institutions worldwide. There would be no place today for an article on ‘The Use and Abuse of Capital Letters’ (A. F. Pollard, 5, 13, June 1927)!|