We hope you find using the library productive. The library welcomes considerate readers. To make the reading rooms a pleasant and safe working environment and to preserve the collections, we ask that users comply with the following:
- No eating or drinking in library areas, except bottled water.
- Please keep your phone/computer in silent mode. Phone calls are only permitted on landings.
- When using headphones, please make sure the sound is not audible to others.
- Unless a room has been booked, rooms are for silent study only. Please keep the door open to make the space welcoming for other users.
- Library materials may not be removed from the IHR. Please treat library materials and equipment with care. Book rests and weights are available from the enquiries office. Do not mark or annotate any library materials.
- Please reshelve books after use. If you wish to reserve items for the following day reservation slips are available.
- You can use your own cameras or copying equipment. Please ensure that you comply with copyright and licencing regulations.
- Library PCs are intended for the pursuit of historical research only.
- The fire alarm is tested on Thursdays at 9:30am. If the alarm sounds at other times you must evacuate immediately, and follow staff instructions.
- Reading rooms close 10 minutes before the final closure time.
The full IHR membership rules are available at www.history.ac.uk/about/membership/rules.