Beresford, Professor Maurice (1920–2005)
© University of Leeds
Groundbreaking in his focus on landscape and use of archaeology and aerial photography, Beresford used these techniques initially in the study of medieval villages, subsequently moving beyond this to survey the towns and the country as a whole.
- Deserted Medieval Village Research Group
University of Leeds
Yorkshire Archaeological Society
- Significant posts:
- Chairman, School of Economic Studies, University of Leeds
- Saltmarsh, John
- Hoskins, William George
St Joseph, John Kenneth Sinclair
- Dyer, Christopher
- Aerial photography
- Maurice Beresford and John Kenneth Sinclair St Joseph, Medieval England: an Aerial Survey (Cambridge, 1958)
- Maurice Beresford, The Lost Villages of England (London, 1954)
- Sarah Speight, 'Localising history 1940–1965: the extra-mural contribution', Journal of Educational Administration and History, 35, 1 (2003), 51–64.
Anthony Fletcher, '''englandpast.net'": a framework for the social history of England', Historical Research, 75 (2002), 296–315.