Cobban, Professor Alfred Bert Carter (1901–1968)
Cobban was one of the major Anglo-Saxon historians of the French Revolution, whose initially controverisal critique of the Marxist analysis of events paved the way for a variety of revisionist and post-revisionist approaches.
- Alfred Bert Carter
- University of London (University College)
- Significant posts:
- Professor of French History, University of London (University College)
- Cobb, Richard Charles
Taylor, George V.
- History of France / French Revolution
History of political thought
Blackwell Dictionary of Historians
Encyclopedia of Historians and Historical Writing
Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- Alfred Cobban, The Social Interpretation of the French Revolution (Cambridge, 1964)
Alfred Cobban, History of Modern France (3 vols., Harmondsworth, 1957–65)
- C. B. A. Behrens, 'Professor Cobban and his critics', Historical Journal, 9 (1966), 236–40