The Wiener Library is the world’s oldest Holocaust archive and the home of Britain’s largest collection of published and unpublished works, documents and photographs relating to the Nazi era. We are seeking an Acquisitions Librarian to join the team in a permanent post. For someone with an interest in modern history this is an opportunity to help develop Britain’s foremost collection of books and pamphlet regarding the Holocaust, its causes and consequences. As we are a small organisation we are looking for someone who is a good team player willing to be involved in other projects as necessary.
Full-time, Permanent Post based in Central London, WC1
Responsible to: Senior Librarian
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The priority task is to manage acquisitions of books including:
- Buying and accessioning new books; both new and second-hand titles.
- Managing the book budget
- Evaluating and accessioning book donations to the Library.
- Monitoring and evaluating acquisitions by compiling statistical reports.
- Reader services.
- Other duties and projects as may be assigned.
- Graduate or post graduate degree in librarianship or information science.
- Fluency in German.
- Strong communication skills (written and oral).
- Attention to detail.
- Experience with library management systems.
- Experience of reader services in a higher education setting.
- Ability to organise work effectively and prioritise tasks.
- Team player as well as self-motivated.
- Excellent subject knowledge of the Holocaust and Nazi era.
- Additional language skills, particularly French, Polish or Hebrew.
- Experience of supervising volunteers.
- Experience with electronic resources.
- Good general IT skills.
How to Apply
Please send your CV and a cover letter outlining your relevant experience to:
The Wiener Library, 29 Russell Square, London WC1B 5DP
The closing date for applications is Friday 28 February 2013. Applications must be received by 5.30pm.
For an informal talk about this position, please contact Kat Hübschmann, Senior Librarian, on 020 7636 7247 or email@example.com.
7 Feb 2013