The Friends of the IHR is our largest group of supporters. As a Friend, you not only provide the Institute with vital support, but you also have the opportunity to play an active part in the life of the Institute.
The minimum annual donation to become a Friend is £30 or £15 for Students with a current ID. You can make a donation via Direct Debit or credit card online.
If you reside in the United States, we have a separate American Friends group with allows you to give tax effectively. To find out more, please see the American Friends of the IHR Website.
Friends benefits include:
- Email notification and advance booking for our events programme, including social events created primarily for our Friends
- Discounted access to valuable digital resources such as to British History on Line and Bibliography of British and Irish History
- Discounted prices on conference attendance and publications
- The Institute’s bi-annual magazine Past and Future
- An invitation to the Friends’ Annual Meeting
The Friends’ interests are represented to the Institute by two committees, one in the United Kingdom and one in the United States. The UK members for 2012/13 are:
- Professor Caroline Barron (Chair),
- Dr Linda Clark,
- Mr James Dixon,
- Dr Jenny Stratford,
- Mr Christian Steer and
- Dr Roland Quinault.
The IHR enjoys close links with the United States as we have students, alumni, fellows, former trustees and staff who are American.
This relationship is strengthened through the support given by our American Friends and donors, either based in the US or UK. The American Friends of the IHR is a 501(c)3 charity that was set up in 1990 to enable Us taxpayers who wish to support the IHR to make gifts that are tax deductible for US income tax purposes.