The Publisher, the Architect and the Sculptor: The Building of Fountainbridge Library, Edinburgh
02 Apr 2019, 17:30 to 07 May 2019, 19:30
History of Libraries
Warburg Institute, Woburn Square, London WC1H 0AB
Alice Strang , Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art, Edinburgh
This icon of modern Scottish architecture opened in 1940. Funded by the publisher Thomas Nelson Jnr, designed by the architect John A. W. Grant, and with friezes on its façade by the sculptor Charles d’Orville Pilkington Jackson, Fountainbridge Library was a purpose-built, state-of-the-art library and community hall which embodied the most far-sighted concerns of architects, librarians and social policy makers of the inter-war period. External and internal photographs and press coverage recording the progress of this major civic commission show the planning, construction and successful completion of a library which opened during the blackout and which still serves the community today.
020 7862 8740