The library has an extensive and rapidly growing collection on general historiography in our general history collection. Within it you can find general works on historiography, historical methodologies and titles which look at specific kinds of sources.
We also have subject-specific historiography titles within each collections throughout the library. These sections can be found towards the beginning of a collection, marked with the shelf-mark 09 (e.g. EF.09 for French historiography and W.09 for the historiography of warfare)
Of course history is not exclusively an academic field but something everyone has a relationship with. Our collections reflect this with a growing number of titles acquired on memory and commemoration, nostalgia, heritage and history depicted in popular culture.
The main historiography collection is subdivided with the following in-house classification scheme:
- E.142 Historical Methodologies
- E.143 Historical Sources
- E.144 Historiography
- E.146 The Philosophy of History
- E.1465 History and Society
- E.1466 Memory and Commemoration
- E.14665 Nostalgia
- E.1467 History in literature, film, music and television
- E.15 Quantitative methods in history
- E.16 Digital Humanities and Digital Applications in History
We also subscribe to a number of periodicals relevant in this field.