The Microform Collection consists mainly of films or fiche of important source collections from outside London. It includes materials from Windsor Castle, the Bodleian Library, Longleat House, Harvard, Yale and the Huntington Library. Other major holdings include substantial parts of Complete State Papers Domestic and Early English Newspapers.
Microforms are included on the catalogue (IHR classmarks beginning X). Major holdings are listed below.
Microfilm and Microfiche Readers are available on the 1st and lower ground floors. Most of the microforms are in open-access cabinets on the lower ground floor. Some are in closed access, please see catalogue for details. Equipment is for use with the Institute's collection or with privately owned film or fiche. Readers can save files to the PCs, and printing is available.
A select list of the more important holdings:
From the Public Record Office:
- Complete State Papers Domestic, Henry VIII; Charles II (part); James II; William and Mary.
- Home Office papers and records: Order and authority in England. Series 1: PRO Class HO 42 1782-1820.
- Kew lists: the microfiche edition.
From the Archives of the Marquess of Bath at Longleat:
Most published sets including:
- Carteret papers (c.1615-1727)
- Coventry papers
- Devereux papers
- Dudley papers
- Miscellaneous manuscripts: Accounts & expenses of noble households, 15th-17th centuries
- Portland papers [Harley papers]
- Prior papers
- Seymour papers
- Talbot papers (1574-1608)
- Thynne papers, c.1542-1780
- Whitelocke papers
- Glastonbury abbey documents: Court and compotus rolls
From the Bodleian Library, Oxford:
Extensive selections of manuscripts from
- the Tanner Collection
- the Ballard Collection
- the Rawlinson Collection
- Social history of property and possessions. Pt.1. Inventories and wills
From the Royal Archives, Windsor Castle:
- Cabinet reports by Prime Ministers to the Crown 1837-1867; [&] 1868-1916.
- Changes of government, cabinet reconstructions and political crises, 1837-1901.
- Correspondence of Sir Robert Peel, 1841-46. (Prime Minister's Correspondence with the Crown).
- The Melbourne papers.
- Papers of Queen Victoria on foreign affairs, parts 1-6.
Other General Collections.
Selections from the
- Hastings Collection of manuscripts from the Huntington Library, California.
- Crown servants :
- Series 1 : the Papers of Thomas Wentworth, 1st Earl of Strafford, 1593-1641, from Sheffield City Libraries.
- Series 2 : Papers of the Wynns of Gwydir, 1515-1690… from the National Library of Wales.
- Sir William Clarke manuscripts from Worcester College, Oxford, 1640-1664.
- Early English Newspapers (c.50% of project).
- British political and social cartoons 1655-1832, not in the British Museum. (Library of Congress).
- Politics in the age of revolution, 1715-1848. Pt 1, The papers of Edmund Burke, 1729-1797, from Sheffield Archives.
- Papers of Sir James Graham, Home Secretary, statesman and reformer, from Cumbria Record Office &c.
- English legal manuscripts project.
- Stage 1, Harvard Law School: Manuscript Year books, readings & law reports;
- Stage 5, Yale Law School;
- Stage 6, Harvard .... addenda.
- Collection of mediaeval and renaissance manuscripts at Trinity College, Dublin. Sect. 2, Secular Studies, B,Law.
- Old Bailey Proceedings, parts 1 & 2, 1713/93 - 1793/1834.
British Ecclesiastical History
- Act books of the archbishops of Canterbury, 1663-1914, ... from Lambeth Palace Library.
- Registers of the Archbishops of Canterbury, 13th-17th centuries.
- Church, authority and power in medieval and early modern Britain: the Episcopal Registers.
- Part 1, Registers of the archbishops of York, 1215-1650;
- Part 2, .... Lincoln, 1209-1654;
- Part 3, .... Coventry and Lichfield, 1295-1632; Carlisle,1292-1656; Chester, 1541-1652, and Durham, 1283-1672;
- Part 4, .... Salisbury, 1297-1689;
- Part 5, .... London, 1304-1660;
- Part 6, .... Christ Church Cathedral Priory, Canterbury, 1284-1661;
- Part 7, .... Ely, 1337-1619; Oxford, 1592-1663; and Wales, 1389-1705;
- Part 8, .... Chichester, 1396-1675; Gloucester, 1541-1681; and Rochester, 1319-1683.
- Papers of the York Court of High Commission c. 1560-1641, from the Borthwick Institute of Historical Research.
- The papers of Archbishop Wake : 1683-1727 from Christ Church, Oxford.
- The Printed records of the Parliament of Ireland (Irish parliamentary papers), 1613-1800.
- Ordnance Survey memoirs c.1833-87, from the Royal Irish Academy.
- Dutch pamphlets, c.1486-1648 ... on microfiche. Sect. 1, The Collection in the Royal Library, The Hague.
- National Inventory of Documentary Sources in the United States [to c. 1995. Index on CD-Rom].
- Pt.1, Federal records.
- Pt.2, MSS.Division, Lib. of Congress.
- Pt.3, State Archives, libraries & hist. socs.
- Pt.4, Academic libs. & other repositories.