The social construction of sexual behaviour — its taboos, regulation, and social and political impact — has had a profound effect on the various cultures of the world throughout history. LGBT history dates back to the first recorded instances of same-sex love and sexuality of ancient civilizations, involving the history of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) peoples and cultures around the world. LGBTQ, including Queer/Questioning, is also be covered in this guide.
By (Non-Foucauldian) Subject
- Salisbury, Joyce E, Medieval sexuality: a research guide
- Hansen, Marlene R, The fair sex: writing by and about women in the British Isles, 1600-1800: a bibliographical study of material in the Royal Library, Copenhagen, with a biographical index
- Nash, Stanley D, Prostitution in Great Britain, 1485 -1901: an annotated bibliography
Sexuality: General Works
- Kelly, Mark G. E., Foucault's History of sexuality [electronic resource]. Volume 1, the will to knowledge / Mark Kelly.
- Seward, Georgene Hoffman, Sex and the social order [electronic resource]
- Weeks, Jeffrey, What is sexual history?
Sex and the Law
- Levesque, Roger J. R., Adolescents, sex, and the law [electronic resource] : preparing adolescents for responsible citizenship
- La Fond, John Q., Preventing sexual violence [electronic resource] : how society should cope with sex offenders
Sex Customs and Ethics
- Documenting Intimate matters: primary sources for a history of sexuality in America / edited by Thomas A. Foster.
- Ellis, Havelock, Analysis of the sexual impulse, love and pain, the sexual impulse in women [electronic resource]
- Bentham, Jeremy, of sexual irregularities, and other writings on sexual morality
- Le livre des courtisanes : Archives secrètes de la police des moeurs (1861-1876), introduction, notes et répertoires de Gabrielle Houbre.
- Hemmie, Dagmar M. H., Ungeordnete unzucht : prostitution im Hanseraum (12.-16. Jahrhundert) Lübeck - Bergen - Helsingør
Gender and Sexuality
- Fuller, Margaret, Woman in the nineteenth century, and kindred papers relating to the sphere, condition, and duties of women
- Iyam, David Uru, Matriarchy and power in Africa [electronic resource]: Aneji Eko
- Paulson, Susan, Masculinities and femininities in Latin America's uneven development [electronic resource]
- Kessler-Harris, Alice, Gendering labor history
- Lalumiere, Martin. L (et al), The causes of rape [electronic resource] : understanding individual differences in male propensity for sexual aggression
- Leuba, Clarence J, The sexual nature of man: and its management
Marriage and Family
- Calverton, Victor Francis, The bankruptcy of marriage
- McCarthy, Conor, Love, sex and marriage in the middle ages: a sourcebook
- Covert, James Thayne, A Victorian marriage: Mandell and Louise Creighton
- Rousseau, Constnce M. and Rosenthal, Joel Thomas, Women, marriage, and family in medieval Christendom: essays in memory of Michael M. Sheehan, C.S.B
- McSheffrey, Shannon, Love and marriage in late medieval London
- Hoecke, Willy van, Love and marriage in the twelfth century
- Brooke, Christopher Nugent Lawrence, Marriage in Christian history: an inaugural lecture
- Sanger, Margaret, The Selected papers of Margaret Sanger
- Maternity and gender policies: women and the rise of the European welfare states, 1880s-1950s, edited by Gisela Bock and Pat Thane.
- Bundesministerium für Jugend, Familie, Frauen und Gesundheit, und Funktionsnachfolger : (1950) 1969-1991 (1994), Bestand B 189, bearbeitet von Axel Schmidt.
- Peter Selman, Family planning
LGBTQ General Works
- Stein, Marc, Rethinking the gay and lesbian movement
- Aldrich, Robert and Wotherspoon Garry, Who's who in contemporary gay and lesbian history: from World War II to the present day
Homosexuality and Same-Gender and Relationships
- Peniston, William A and Erber, Nancy, Queer lives: men’s autobiographies from nineteenth-century France
- Boyd, Nan Alamilla and Roque Ramirez, Horacio N, Bodies of evidence: the practice of queer oral history
- Goldberg, Abbie E., Lesbian and gay parents and their children [electronic resource] : research on the family life cycle
- Cleves, Rachel Hope, Charity and Sylvia [electronic resource]: a same-sex marriage in early America
- Lent, Adam and Storr, Merl, Section 28 and the revival of gay, lesbian and queer politics in Britain
- Murray, David A.B, Real queer? : Sexual orientation and gender identity refugees in the Canadian refugee apparatus
- Stryker, Susan,Transgender history
LGBTQ+ Biographies & Letters
- Al-Kadhi, Amrou, Unicorn: memoires of a Muslim drag queen
- Balay, Anne, Steel closets: voices of gay, lesbian and transgender steelworkers
- Chacaby, Ma-Nee, A two-spirit journey : the autobiography of a lesbian Ojibwa-Cree elder
- Jacques, Juliet, Trans : a memoir
- Lister, Anne, The secret diaries of Anne Lister (1791-1840)
- Jones, Cleve, When we rise : my life in the movement
- Peniston, William A. & Erber, Nancy, Queer lives : men's autobiographies from nineteenth-century France
- Romain, Gemma, Race, sexuality and identity in Britain and Jamaica : the biography of Patrick Nelson, 1916-1963
- Rufli, Corinne, Seit dieser Nacht war ich wie verzaubert : frauenliebende Frauen über siebzig erzählen
- Seel, Pierre, Moi, Pierre Seel, déporté homosexuel
- Ulrichs, Karl Heinrich, The correspondence of Karl Heinrich Ulrichs, 1846-1894
- Gowing, Laura Burnett., Women, sex and honour: the London church courts 1572-1640.
- Henderson, Anthony R, Female prostitution in London, 1730-1830
- Brady, Sean Dominic, Masculinity and the Question of Male Homosexuality in Britain: 1861-1911
A full list of our electronic resources is available on the online resources page. Below are a few examples of resources that could be useful for this subject (most are available onsite in the IHR or via subscription only):
- British periodicals
- Newspapers, see online resources page
- Sexuality, society, and feminism
- Nan nü: men, women, and gender in early and Imperial China.
- Boesten, Jelke, Sexual violence during war and peace: gender, power, and post-conflict justice in Peru
- Sexism and stereotypes in modern society: the gender science of Janet Taylor Spence / edited by William B. Swann, Jr., Judith H. Langlois, Lucia Albino Gilbert.
- Masculinity and sexuality in modern Mexico / edited by Víctor M. Macías-González and Anne Rubenstein
- Sheckels, Theodore F, Gender and the American presidency: nine presidential women and the barriers they faced
- Ellis, Havelock, Sex in relation to society
- Ronner, Amy D, Homophobia and the law
- Texas journal of women and the law
- Feminist legal studies
- Journal of the history of sexuality
- Sexuality & Culture
- Gender and history
- International feminist journal of politics
- Harvard journal of law & gender
- Studies in gender and sexuality
- Gender, work, and organization
- Gender and education
- Journal of women's history
- Canadian journal of women and the law
- The European journal of contraception & reproductive health care
Contact us if you would like help on finding or using our collections, or if you have any comments or suggestions about the content of this guide. We are happy to help.
You can also book a tour or training session.