This guide is designed to be a resource for those undertaking research in the fields of the History of LGBTQ and Sexuality.
The social construction of sexual behaviour—its taboos, regulation, and social and political impact—has had a profound effect on the various cultures of the world all throughout history. LGBT history dates back to the first recorded instances of same-sex love and sexuality of ancient civilizations, involving the history of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) peoples and cultures around the world. LGBTQ, including Queer/Questioning, will also be covered in this guide.
The IHR Library has numerous books, journals and electronic resources on the subjects of LGBTQ and Sexuality history. The History of Sexuality seminar also takes place every Tuesday in the IHR, more details are available on the seminar page.
- General works
- Sex and the law
- Sexual customs and ethics
- Gender (incl. male and female sexuality)
- Marriage & Family
- Electronic resources and Periodicals
- Gowing, Laura Burnett., Women, sex and honour: the London church courts 1572-1640.
- Henderson, Anthony R, Female prostitution in London, 1730-1830
- Brady, Sean Dominic, Masculinity and the Question of Male Homosexuality in Britain: 1861-1911
A full list of our electronic resources is available on the E-resources page. Below are a few examples of resources that could be useful for this subject (most are available onsite in the IHR or via subscription only):
- British periodicals
- Newspapers, see e-resources page
- Sexuality, society, and feminism
- Nan nü: men, women, and gender in early and Imperial China.
- Boesten, Jelke, Sexual violence during war and peace: gender, power, and post-conflict justice in Peru
- Sexism and stereotypes in modern society: the gender science of Janet Taylor Spence / edited by William B. Swann, Jr., Judith H. Langlois, Lucia Albino Gilbert.
- Masculinity and sexuality in modern Mexico / edited by Víctor M. Macías-González and Anne Rubenstein
- Sheckels, Theodore F, Gender and the American presidency: nine presidential women and the barriers they faced
- Ellis, Havelock, Sex in relation to society
- Ronner, Amy D, Homophobia and the law
- Texas journal of women and the law (Online)
- Feminist legal studies
- Journal of the history of sexuality
- Sexuality & culture
- Gender and history
- International feminist journal of politics
- Harvard journal of law & gender
- Studies in gender and sexuality [electronic resource]
- Gender, work, and organization
- Gender and education
- Journal of women's history
- Canadian journal of women and the law
- The European journal of contraception & reproductive health care [electronic resource].
Other libraries, archives, organisations