The IHR and British Group of Early American Historians (BGEAH) invite you to attend the 2nd annual Early American History conference for postgraduate researchers and early career academics working on any facet of American or Atlantic history from the seventeenth century through to the American Civil War, to discuss ideas amongst your peers and, where appropriate, to assess the current state of early American research in Britain.
London, with its unique colonial archival resources and lively research
student populatiÂÂon, is one of the leading centres of early American
scholarship in Europe, and the IHR is a natural location for this event. The
IHR Library’s North American Room houses one of the foremost UK collections of
published material relating to the early history of the United States,
Caribbean, and Canada.
For a conference provisional programme, please click here.
- Gareth Hallett Davis (UCL)
- Rebecca Simon (KCL)
- Farrah Lawrence (UCL)
- William Raffle (University of Sheffield)
- Simon Middleton (University of Sheffield)
- Tom Rodgers (University of Portsmouth)
- Tim Lockley (University of Warwick)
- Jack Tracey (University of Kent)
- Misha Ewen (UCL)
- Hugh Roberts (University of Kent)
- Huw David (Rothermere American Institute)
- Pekka Hämäläinen (University of Oxford)
- Daniel Peart (QMUL)
All attendees are invited to join us for drinks at Birkbeck College afterwards to be followed by dinner TBD. To ensure a dinner reservation, please contact Gareth Davis.
The 21st Annual Conference of the British Group in Early American History will be held this year at the University of Portsmouth between August 31st and September 3rd. For more information click here.
Howell Daniels & IHR Student Bursaries
– There are a number of bursaries available up to a total of £150 to facilitate travel and registration for students who would like to attend the conference from outside London and the South East.*
To apply for a bursary, students should apply to the IHR Events Office with the following information:
Reason for Application:
Approximate travel costs:
*Second class travel only, and where possible outside of peak hours.
Fees apply: £10
Fees include refreshments and lunch