Following a huge response to our Open Call, we are delighted to announce events organised by partners across the country, bringing together universities, museums, archives, artists, musicians and volunteers to engage local and national communities with the discipline and practice of history. Events will run right across the IHR Centenary year, from July 2021 to May 2022.
Some of these #OurCentury events have received IHR bursaries, while others did not seek funding. All approach history in imaginative and creative ways: addressing urgent challenges, discovering or amplifying marginalised stories, promoting inclusivity, engaging diverse communities, and informing and inspiring the next generation of historians.
They all reflect the IHR Centenary mission of thinking back and looking forward, focused around our Centenary aims, to:
- Celebrate the discipline and practice of history, in all its forms and wherever it is found, and its contribution to public life in the UK and beyond
- Reflect on the past century and practices of history over the past hundred years, and open a conversation about the future of history over the coming century
- Think critically about untold, marginalised and invisible histories over the past century
- Promote more inclusive, diverse and engaged histories and historical practice
- Involve diverse participants and communities in making history and making history’s future