This draft history of Brooksby was prepared by Alan Fox. Comments on this draft entry should be sent to the county editor, Pamela Fisher, by email.
Brooksby parish lies on the south side of the valley of the River Wreake, nine miles north-east of Leicester. The parish is bisected by the main road between Leicester and Melton Mowbray, five miles to the ENE. For much of the medieval period and later the lords of the manor were from the Villiers family. The medieval village was probably abandoned in 1492, following enclosure for pasture by Sir John Villiers, leaving a manor house, the church and a mill as the only buildings.