The small village of Coston in north-east Leicestershire lies on the B676 road between the market town of Melton Mowbray, seven miles to the WSW, and the A1 junction at Colsterworth (Lincs.), a similar distance to the east (Figure 1). Following several periods of shrinkage, most notably in the 14th century and the late 19th century, the village in 2021 comprised just 16 houses and a medieval church. Land to the south of the church contains the earthworks of former house platforms. Since 1834 all the land in the parish has been part of the Buckminster Estate, owned by the Tollemache family. Buckminster parish lies immediately east of Coston, and they share a parish boundary.
Comments on this draft entry should be sent to the county editor, Pamela Fisher, by email.