Leicestershire VCH Trust is very grateful to David Wilson Esq DL for funding the research and publication of a paperback history of Ibstock.
This large village/town in NW Leics is on the eastern edge of the Leicestershire coalfield. The first coal mine was sunk in 1825, which also yielded large quantities of fire-clay and clay suitable for high-quality bricks. The population grew rapidly as the colliery expanded, and a second colliery (Ellistown) opened within the parish in 1873. Both collieries have now closed, but clay extraction continues, and Ibstock is now home to one of the UK's largest brick producers.
For corrections and comments on this draft text, please contact the editor, Pamela Fisher by email.