The 8 July 2021 marks the exact date 100 years ago of the IHR’s opening ceremony.
For 100 years the IHR has been thinking back and looking forward. Today we officially launch the IHR’s yearlong celebration ‘Our Century’ – an exploration, celebration and reappraisal of history’s past, present and future. #OurCentury
To celebrate the IHR's centenary leading historians from around the globe were bough together to help celebrate our centenary. Panellists commented on:
- The state of the discipline within their country or region
- What opportunities there are for collaborations and creating connections
- What part the IHR should play, as the UK’s national centre for the study of history, for the next 100 years.
Former IHR Director, Professor Jo Fox (Dean of SAS & Pro-Vice Chancellor for Research and Public Engagement with the University of London) opened the celebrations.
Session 1 included a message from IHR Centenary Patron- Dame Mary Beard.
Chair: Dr Diya Gupta (IHR Past and Present Fellow: Race, Ethnicity, and Equality in History)
- Professor Sandra Wilson (Academic Chair of History, Philosophy and Sociology, Murdoch University, Perth, Australia)
- Professor Shigeru Akita (Professor of British Imperial History and Global History, Osaka University, Japan)
- Professor Heasim Sul (Department of History, Yonsei University, Seoul, South Korea)
- Professor Tanika Sarkar (Professor of History, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India)