IHR Global Birthday Event-Session 3
The 8 July 2021 marks the exact date 100 years ago of the IHR’s opening ceremony.
For 100 years the IHR has been thinking back and looking forward. Today we officially launch the IHR’s yearlong celebration ‘Our Century’ – an exploration, celebration and reappraisal of history’s past, present and future. #OurCentury
To celebrate the IHR's centenary leading historians from around the globe were bough together to help celebrate our centenary. Panellists commented on:
- The state of the discipline within their country or region
- What opportunities there are for collaborations and creating connections
- What part the IHR should play, as the UK’s national centre for the study of history, for the next 100 years.
Session 3 included messages from IHR Centenary Patrons- Sir David Cannadine and Shahidha Bari.
Chair: Professor Catherine Clarke (Director of the Centre for the History of People, Place and Community- IHR)
- Professor Bernhard Rieger (Professor of European History, Institute for History at Leiden University, Netherlandds)
- Professor Newton Key (Faculty Development & Innovation Center Director & History Professor, Eastern Illinois University, USA)
- Professor Douglas Peers (Dean Emeritus of Arts, University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada)
- Professor Karin Wulf (Director of the Omohundro Institute of Early American History and Culture, USA)
- Dr. Amanda E. Herbert (Associate Director, Fellowships Folger Institute, Washington DC.)
This session closed with a few words from the newly appointed IHR Director Professor Claire Langhamer.